Monday

The Weirdos

 "You've always gotten along with the weirdos."
The condescending tone with which this was said to me about a year ago was enough to make me sick to my stomach. 'The weirdos'… In high school, after a few brushes with popularity, I quickly realized that I felt more comfortable with the less popular, those outcasts who defied stereotypes, the weirdos... They had sweeter dreams, stronger convictions, an easier sense of humor, and nobler notions of friendship. 
So, yes, I have 'always gotten along with the weirdos'. Society doesn't advance based on brain dead clones and sheep. Just like in nature, society develops based on diversity, it evolves on the weird. If you've never felt the secret wisdom of being a weirdo, then what a horribly boring life you must lead.

22 comments:

  1. Hi, my friend!
    How are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Weirdos are usually the best crowd if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick - hey, buddy. i actually lost a loved one recently, but i'm doing ok. thanks for asking. hope you're doing great.

    Giovanni - thank you.

    TRGB - totally agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "They had sweeter dreams, stronger convictions, an easier sense of humor, and nobler notions of friendship." I'll drink to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hear hear.
    I got along with most people, but felt at ease with the weirdos.
    If I think about it though, they weren't all that weird, they just knew who they were and what they stood for from an earlier age.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eidolon - cheers!

    Laury - you're absolutely right; 'weirdo' was just the term this guy i knew used to classify those who were more interesting them him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty words are not always true, and true words are not always pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. and again: true words ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative post. I love all the different weird faces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I agree with the text, their convictions are usually stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was always drawn to "the weirdos" instead of normal people, too. For all the reasons you mentioned above! And I am happy t be one of em.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jay - thanks. they may look weird, but they all got big hearts.

    Kat - sometimes it can be hard to feel proud of our differences, but we should try our best. they're what make us special.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In the wise words of Frank Zappa “I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.”
    Nice to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nietzsche - its good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. HUZZAH! Hail to the weird!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spot on my friend!

    "The weirdos" are with out a shred of a doubt the least boring of people. Your last line was genius and truly relate to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mrs. Katie - the 'weird' truth

    Sikzak - i totally agree with you. thanks. yeah, i just get really bored with people who don't explore their uniqueness.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll choose people over sheeple every time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. sheeple? hehe nice one.

    ReplyDelete

Crack it up...